Navajo Preparatory School Phase II Historic Academic Buildings
Three “foundation period” historic Buildings dating from
1912 to 1929 called for extensive remodeling and rehabilitation for
use as 21st Century classroom space. New stacked classrooms and labs
with connecting level two bridge walkways link the contemporary architectural
backdrop with the rehabilitated historic structures. Construction for
the new buildings was proceeded by demolition of non-significant additions
on the north side of each building. All work was planned in accordance
with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment
of Historic Properties under Rehabilitation Standards.
The new architecture employs an exterior material palette taken from
the “transitional period” historic structures on campus,
with use of cedar shakes, precast concrete and wood replacement windows
in the historic structures. The original historic porches were re-constructed
on the south facade of each building, providing egress and sheltered
entries for each structure.